Sing with Me 122 - will be on Monday 27 September, following by session 123 on 11 October.
6-6.45 pm UK time (1-1.45 New York) for a Yiddish song and 6.45-7.30pm UK time (1.45-2.30pm New York) for a Russian song.
Please come exactly on time. You can them separately or come to both. Sing with us, it's good for you!
ZOOM meeting information as well as the song sheets always appears here at least two hours before the session.
Here are a few other things you may be interested in.
- 24 September - 7pm UK time. Online on the official SOAS Concert Series Facebook and YouTube Channels. Free, donations are welcome.
This concert is a tribute to the late poet Abraham Nahum Stencl whose original manuscripts form an important part of SOAS’ library archives. It will feature a rich programme of traditional Yiddish songs, set to piano, clarinet, bass and violin... Read more here.
- 16-23 October – Cortijo Romero, Spain. Magical Songs Of The East.
A singing week in a holiday center in the Andalusian mountains
Dive into an explosive mixture of songs from the Steppes and the Shtetl. Tune up your whole body and mind with your voice in full. Develop new ways for your voice to flow - free, inspiring, exciting. The course will also include a meditative sound bath, some fun folk rituals and simple circle dances. Talk to me if it's too expensive for you. More here.
- Yiddish Songs for Love and Harmony. Part of The Workers Circle Autumn schools
25 October, 1, 8, 15, 22 November Online, 6 – 7.30 pm UK time, 1 – 2.30pm New York
This is similar to what we do in SWM but longer and with more depth. I may not be teaching SWM, at least the Yiddish ones, during these weeks, let's see... This course will explore the expression of Love in Yiddish song, from laments to joyous dance songs plus modern compositions, with focus on the phrasing, the modes, the ornamentation and influences from neighbouring cultures. More information and booking here.
- For card payments use the buttons below. You don't need a PayPal account it you check out as a guest.
- Directly into my PayPal account as a Friends & Family or Gift payment here.
- You can join free of charge if you have lost work (like me) due to the pandemic or on low income. Thank you.
full session - Russian and Yiddish £8
single session - either Yiddish or Russian £5
Here is how to pay on the card after you’ve gone to your basket:
You will need to type in your email address for confirmation
Sing with Me Russian & Yiddish Song Sessions Online open to everyone.
Sing with Me run from 20 March 2020 until 3 June 2021 regularly, from every day to twice a week, with online concerts with international musicians every fifth day, with up to 90 people turning up (one we even had a whole choir from Greece!) in the first months of the pandemic. By the end of the long2020 - 2021 stretch we became a lovely group of people from USA, Brazil, Iceland, Canada, France, Germany, the United Arab Emirates and other corners of the world. We sung folk songs (lyrical, drinking, dance, celebratory songs...), Art songs (The Russian Romance and Yiddish art songs) plus a bit of classics like Shostakovich and Rachmaninoff.
- A 45-minute Yiddish session followed by a 45 minute of Russian session
- A new song in every session.
- Learn about cultural context and style.
- No knowledge of languages is needed.
- Song sheets are shown on the screen during sessions.
- Session videos are posted on Youtube.
- Come to one session or both
- Payments are appreciated but you can also join free of charge.
- A Zoom link for each session, printable song sheet with music, lyrics, translation and transliteration appear on this page minimum two hours before the session.
- Here is some help with Russian pronunciation and here is some basics for Yiddish